INFORMATION REGARDING COURT BUILDING
Aurangabad District Court building was constructed in 1932 A.D. during the erstwhile Hyderabad State. It is a load bearing structure. The work of construction was carried out with bricks in lime mortar. The plaster of the building was also made in lime mortar. The roof of the building is arches made with bricks in lime mortar supported with iron beams. It is an excellent example of artistic work. It is a ‘C’ shape building. There is a main Court hall in the center of the building. Two Court halls are constructed at two corners in such a way that the frontage of the Eastern Court hall comes exactly in front of Western Court hall. Its graceful domes one over the main Court hall in the center of the building and two others towards the Eastern and Western Court halls have enhanced the beauty of the building. There is a spacious hall for Central Record room. The first floor of the building is built up in the center of the building, providing one spacious Court hall. Above the central record room there is symmetrical hall, which was subsequently converted into Court hall. Besides these Court halls, several other rooms/halls are constructed in the main Court building for office Sections. The Bar Association hall was constructed behind the main building. Similar type of structure was made behind the main building towards the West-South portion so as to provide one spacious Court hall, chamber and office Sections. Thereafter certain Court halls were constructed gradually to fulfill the requirement and need of more Court halls. But these constructions are made without affecting the main structure.
JUDICIAL PROCEEDINGS AND ADMINISTRATIVES FILES.
During the erstwhile Hyderabad State the Court language was Urdu. All the Record and Proceedings as well as Administratives files are maintained in Urdu language. On going through the oldest record, it appears that the same is consigned to record in 1296 Fasli (comparatively 1888 A.D. approximately). It also appears that the Aurangabad was a regional place. The Head of the region i.e. the District Judge of the region was called as “Nazim-e-Adalat Suba” whereas the other District Judges such as Parbhani, Beed and Osmanabad were known as “Nazim-e-Adalat Zilla”. It is seen that the record and proceedings arising out of Parbhani, Beed and Osmanabad are consigned to Central Record room of Aurangabad being a “Suba” (region). It also appears that till 1956 the Court language was Urdu even after abolition of erstwhile Hyderabad State. Thereafter all the record and proceedings are maintained in English language and Marathi language to the some extent.
ABOUT FREEDOM FIGHTERS :
India became free on the 15th August 1947. But the struggle for independence was not yet over. The question of merger of the Hyderabad State however, lingered. Immediately after India got freedom, the people of Hyderabad demanded the merger of their state with India. But Nizam, the ruler of Hyderabad wanted Hyderabad to remain as an independent state. The people in the various parts of the State even from the other States had launched a movement against the ruler of Hyderabad State by way of Satyagrah, Corner meetings and agitations etc. They were prosecuted under the various charges under the “Zabta-e-foujdari Sarkar-e-Aali,” (Criminal Procedure Code) as well as “Tazirat-e-Sarkar-Aali” (Penal Code) etc. and they were sentenced to undergo imprisonment imposed by the Judges.
During the reign of Raja Ramdev Ray Aurangabad City was known as “KHADKI”. In 1622 A.D. Malik Ambar made attack and captured “KHADKI”. He changed it’s name as “FATEHNAGAR”. During his reign he made City Protection wall with 52 gates around the entire City. Bhadkal Gate, Paithan Gate, Delhi Gate, Rangeen Gate, Makai Gate etc. are still in good condition. Most of the gates are collapsed. He made nice arrangement for drinking water. He made under ground water pipe lines which are popularly known as “Neher-e-Ambari”.
In 1652 A.D. Aurangzeb became Subhedar of Deccan. He looked after entire activities from Fatehnagar. He changed its name as Aurangabad. Thereafter he became an emperor of Delhi. He nominated Nizam-ul-mulk as Subhedar of Deccan and made Aurangabad City as Capital of Deccan. Thereafter Nizan-ul-mulk made Hyderabad as capital of his State.
In 1947 India got freedom but Hyderabad State was still ruled out by Nizam of Hyderabad. On 17th September 1948 Hyderabad State got freedom through a Police action and Aurangabad became a part of Hyderabad State. In 1956 erstwhile Hyderabad State was divided into three parts and Aurangabad was merged in Maharashtra State.
HISTORICAL MONUMENTS IN AURANGABAD DISTRICT
Aurangabad is the Historical City. There are several Historical monuments. Out of them following are the world famous monuments.
The world famous Ajanta caves are situated at a distance of about 101 kilometers from Aurangabad City. It is the best example of Art and sculpture. There are about 29 caves at Ajanta. The caves are created by carving hard rock of a shape of horseshoe. The said hard rock is carved from up to down.
The Ajanta Caves are famous for Art and sculpture more particularly for painting work in different colour. There are “Pooja Kaksh” or “Chaitya Kaksh”, “Vihar or Boudh Math”, dedicated to Boudha.
In order to create pollution free atmosphere at the caves, tourist vehicles are stopped at the “T” point at a distance of about 10 K.M. from the caves and pollution free buses are made available for the tourists visiting Ajanta caves.
Ellora caves are situated at a distance of about 28 K.M. from Aurangabad (two K.M. away from Khuldabad). It is the holly place for Hindus, Boudh and Jain. There are 34 caves at Ellora. Cave Nos. 1 to 12 are dedicated to Boudha. Cave No. 13 may be the “Dharamshala” (Rest House).
Cave Nos. 14 to 29 are dedicated to Hindu Devtas. Several Statues of Hindu Devi Devatas are carved in cave Nos. 14 to 29. Out of them Cave No. 16 is the most important cave. It is known as “Kailash”. It is made by carving a mountain from up to down. There is a two storied building in between cave No. 16. There is a Shiva Temple in the caves. The entire caves tells the story of Shiva, Vishnu, Puran, Ramayan, Mahabharat etc.
Cave Nos. 30 to 34 are dedicated to Jain culture.
Aurangabad caves are situated behind the Bibi ka Makbara towards the North of Aurangabad City. There are 12 Boudha Caves.
BIBI KA MAKBARA
Bibi ka Makbara is situated towards the North-West corner of Aurangabad City. It is the copy of Taj Mahal. There is tomb of Rabia Durrani the Malika of Aurangzeb. This structure is constructed by Azam Shah s/o Aurangzeb in 1679 A.D.
Panchakki is situated in the heart of the City. It was the residence of Sofi Sant Baba Shah Musafir. Subsequently it was converted into Panchakki. There is a traditional flour mill which is run by force of water. One Neher-e-Ambari (the source of underground water) is connected to this flour mill as to provide pressure to run the flour mill.
This temple is situated at a distance of 1 K.M. from the Ellora caves. Raja Krishna Dev Ray constructed it in 10th A.D. There is a Shiva Ling and statue of Mata Parvati.
Daulatabad fort is situated about 15 K.M. away from Aurangabad City. It is built up on a large mountain, during the reign of Yadavas. There is great ditch (Khandak) around the fort for protection of fort from the attack of enemies. There are several protection walls and gates made with stones. It is a world famous monument.
Khultabad town is situated at a distance of about 10 K.M. from Daulatabad. There is a tomb of Aurangzeb as well as Bhadra Maruti temple.
Mhaismal is situated towards the north of Khultabad town at a distance of about 12 K.M. Mhaismal is the hill station. Girijadevi temple (Parvati’s old temple) and Bhagwan Venkatesh (Tirumala Balaji) are situated at Mhaismal.
Paithan town is situated towards south at a distance of about 50 K.M. from Aurangabad City. It was the capital of Satwahan. This town is situated on the bank of Godavari river. Temple of Marathi Sanit and poet, Sanit Eknath Maharaj is situated at Paithan. Paithan town is famous for Paithani Shalu. There is great Jaikwadi Project known as “Nath Sagar” and the garden is known as “Saint Dnyaneshwar Udyan.”